Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Coffee + Guns = Starbucks?

There is an ensuing debate in San Francisco regarding Starbucks allowing their customers to freely carry and wear unloaded guns (more). Starbucks announced today that they would allow their customers to do so, since this is their right; a freedom they have under State law, because open carry is legal. Area gun-control advocates have publicly protested against this decision, citing incidents where Starbucks employees have been killed due to the right of the customer. Those for gun control, most notably the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence have made quite an impact on the debate. The group says on their website to Starbucks, "Tell Starbucks: Espresso Shots, Not Gunshots," (website).

What is most interesting to me about this statement is the logo they have created to support their campaign. I think that this logo is too close to the original, it reminds you too much of the actual Starbucks logo. Why they do not have a problem with it, I don't know, but of course, it is political speech, so it's not a big deal, I guess (?). I believe that they could have come up with something else to support their cause, and I feel as if they are wrongfully targeting Starbucks. Yes, they are a worldwide brand, but associating them with these issues are wrong when they are just allowing people to exercise their rights; rights that citizens have fought for.

I totally agree with Starbucks when they say that both groups: gun-control and gun-right/freedom are exploiting Starbucks to bring popularity to their views and efforts. I wonder if Starbucks will respond to some of the comments made by advocates, which in a way could be considered slanderous. If I were Starbucks, I probably would.

No comments: